By SCN Staff
HOUSTON— The Cleveland Independent School District in Texas recently selected Lockwood, Andrews & Newman, Inc. as program manager for its nearly $200 million bond program for the construction of two new elementary schools and middle school, plus more.
LAN will provide comprehensive program management services including design review, construction procurement and administration, scheduling and budgeting services. A general contractor has not yet been selected.
As the fastest-growing school district in Texas, Cleveland ISD has grown approximately 20 percent annual over the past three years. In 2019, 1,000 new students enrolled, which required the district to spend more than $3 million on portable buildings. To handle this growth, voters passed a $198 million bond measure this past November.
The bond package will include funds for several projects, including:
- Two new elementary campuses that will relieve overcrowding at Eastside Elementary and address continued growth. The new elementary schools, which will have a prototype design, will accommodate 950 students each.
- A new middle school to relieve overcrowding at Cleveland Middle School. The new middle school will also have a prototype design and accommodate 1,600 students.
- Improvements and renovations to Northside Elementary to build it to its capacity of 950 students.
- Improvements to the existing baseball and softball fields at Cleveland High School, including new turf, press box and other amenities.
- A new administration building.
“We are excited to be a part of Cleveland ISD’s bond program,” said JP Grom, AIA, LAN’s vice president and team leader.
“We are looking forward to helping the school district manage its growth and providing students the environment and infrastructure needed to succeed in the 21st century.”
Construction of the new elementary schools and middle school is scheduled for completion in July 2022.